Saturday, March 7, 2015

Bride-to-Be

It's been a few months shy of a year since I've visited Second Rebel and updated you on my life. The last time you heard from me, I was gushing over being engaged and telling you how happy I was. Well, things weren't meant to be. And that's okay. Great, actually. I went through a lot this year and grew so incredibly much. Although I may have gone through hell, I would never change any of it. I got pushed down and now I'm back up on my two feet, feeling happier than ever. 

I'm sure you're wondering why this entry is titled "Bride-to-Be", right? I absolutely believe all things happen for a reason and this year has been a year of growth and learning. It was also a time for me to get to love myself again and this love is stronger than ever. Now that I love myself, I am able to love another. It's true when they say, "you must love yourself before you can love another."

On my way to independence, once again, and to being a strong woman, I crossed paths with a face from my past. Connor is his name. We never had much history, but we did "fall in love" over two years ago just as I was leaving to boot camp for the Air Force. Great timing? Not so much. We parted ways because of the distance and both got on with our lives. I would be lying if I told you I didn't think about him all the time over those two years...or if I told you I wasn't jealous of his girlfriend at that time. 

He had a dream. Or multiple dreams as he has told me, about me and he felt obligated to message me via FaceBook and let me know. I had just broken up with my ex-fiance and enjoyed our conversations. Holidays came around and we were both headed home to Prescott (where we both went to Prescott High School). We decided to meet up. Oh man, was I nervous! Not only was I nervous, but I was still kind of salty towards him for letting us lose touch. I told myself I would keep it together and that I wouldn't let myself get involved with him again, especially after my recent engagement failed. 

Connor is the absolute, complete, love of my life. We fell for each other all over again. Quickly, too! Our poor families barely saw us over the holidays because we just couldn't leave one another. We started dating in November and are now engaged just 4 months later. We are crazy, we know. But that's just it- we know. I never believed in a soulmate or the whole, "when you know, you know" argument. It is so true though. Its the best feeling in the world. It's right. It's love. 

Just last month, on Valentine's Day, I was supposed to be flying up to Utah to visit Connor, but he decided to surprise me by being at my house with a rose instead! My mom and Connor secretly planned this and did a great job because I suspected nothing!

After he surprised me at my mother's house in Prescott, we went to a Valentine's Day dinner at probably the only place that wasn't completely packed- a little whole-in-the-wall Chinese place. It was perfect. Connor then told me I had 2 surprises left. We arrived at the Hassayampa Hotel, which is where we had stayed a couple of months prior. Connor handed me the key to the room and followed me to the room. As soon as I entered the room I was surprised to see roses, candles, a Free People nightie, Bridal Magazines, chocolates, and some earrings on the bed all laid out. I turned around the kiss him and tell him how amazed I was and there he was...down on one knee...with the most beautiful ring in his hands (not that I really looked at it because I was so taken away). He asked if I would marry him and I said yes. Absolutely yes. You can probably guess what surprise 2 and 3 were.  

We spent the night laughing and calling our families to tell them the great news. We also enjoyed some alone time and drank some sparkling cider. I have never felt so excited or right about something in my entire life. Every day I fall deeper in love with my best friend and it's a blessing. After our magical Valentine's Day, we hit the road to Utah for the week. I took leave from work and headed up to the mountains. Utah was beautiful, everything was beautiful. I am so in love with my fiancé, my best friend, and my everything. We are ecstatic for the wedding and for marriage! I've already started planning and I absolutely love doing it- no matter how stressful. We're looking at tying the knot on January 16th, 2016. Stick around, I'm becoming Mrs. Bertoch!

Enjoy some of our pictures below!